Fairmont Newport Beach #HotelReview
We were delighted to check out the Fairmont Newport Beach Hotel, which is in Orange County and close to two of the best beach areas I know: Newport Beach and Laguna Beach.
As with other Fairmont hotels we arrived to see a classy and elegant lobby and received great service at check-in. the staff that helped us were younger yet extremely courteous, no complaints at all.
- The size of the room was average for a 2 queen bed room.
- The room had some classy touches, including a plasma flat-screen TV.
- The bathroom was extremely clean, and had delicious smelling lotions and shampoos. We actually asked one of the housekeepers for an extra bottle of lotion and she happily obliged.
- The room was also quiet and felt elegant (though not as nice as the lobby which was decadent).
- Mini fridge, Keurig, DVD player and a safe were all in the room.
- Nice robes J
- Is a long room that aligns the outdoor patio area. Some of the equipment was newer and some was a little dated but nothing bad. I was able to get in a well-rounded workout without having to wait for any equipment or cardio machines and due to the size of the gym.
- It is heated (for those of you not from Southern California it does get pretty cool, especially by the coast). There was a nice-sized Jacuzzi too, fun to bounce between the two at night.
- There were free cabanas to hang out in. This was such a nice surprise, since I don’t do so well in the sun… to have a shaded area right next to the pool was perfect. It was also nice to have our own privacy and staked out area. Each cabana is a good size and has its own TV. At other hotels you have to rent the cabanas by the hour or day, often for a big price tag. The drawback to this was that there’s no food or drink in the pool area..sigh.
- The pool is big, there were about 6 other people swimming around and we still had our own area to have fun with the kids and not bump into anyone.
- There was a dedicated attendant to just the pool area, who helped us with some flotation noodles for our son and one of those pool tubes (I call them pool doilies) for our baby. There was also some good tunes playing in the background.
All around the patio area emulated a fun beach environment.
- One of the best parts of this hotel is their concierge, Jeff. He is someone that truly found a job to match his warm personality, and he knew so much about the area and all of the events going on. I asked about the drive down to Huntington Beach and he told me the quick route and the scenic route, gave me a map marking three different art festivals, told me where to stop for lunch and even gave me tips on parking. Thank you again Jeff, you are a life saver!
- Everyone else at the hotel was kind too. The Fairmont brand does a good job of keeping their brand and image high with great service. From the valet group to the front-desk to room service everyone was very kind to our whole family.
- We didn’t get to experience as much food in the hotel as we had hoped. We had some quick room service and it took a while to deliver and was quite pricey, even for room service. A peer of mine mentioned they love this hotel’s room service food but I just didn’t experience that.
- On Sunday we ate their breakfast buffet (offered daily) and it was ok. The service was a little slow, even though the restaurant didn’t have too many customers.
- I was given a tour and thought that it would be a nice place to host an event. They had a nice outdoor area with a fountain which was very quiet and removed from the rest of the hotel. There was also a nice-sized ballroom with chandeliers and high ceilings for banquets, etc.
- Well maintained Tennis courts, basketball hoop, spa, and a shuttle that goes to the airport and a couple of nearby malls. We didn’t make it to any of this stuff, but good to see it offered. I could see us using the shuttle next time around, the malls in this area are impressive (South Coast Plaza is a bit up the highway, very big and very swanky!).
- The first is that it’s right in the heart of a business district. If you are a business traveler and need a place to stay in the area book this hotel asap as it is so much better than any of the other hotels nearby. The hotel is right next to John Wayne Airport, which I’m sure is also source of a decent portion of their guests. If you are travelling for pleasure and want to get the whole beach feeling with strolls from your room to the boardwalk or the heart of Newport nightlife then this is not the place to do it. It’s not a bad drive, only 10 or 15 minutes inland from the water, so if that doesn’t bother you (and it didn’t bother us much at all) then all is ok.
- The second negative is that there is not free parking, if you drive you’ll have to valet your car which tacks on an extra $30 charge each night. We did factor that into the price we paid and the total price still beat other options in the area as far as bang-for-buck.
Neither of these would keep me from returning to The Fairmont Newport Beach, but they were things that I hadn’t thought of when in a hurry and booking my hotel.
I would come back to the Fairmont Newport Beach Hotel, but don’t think that it measures up to the Fairmont name. The area is amazing… you really can’t beat Newport Beach for its massive beach areas, the sand stretches far and wide and you can have tons of privacy even in the heart of summer where other beaches have big crowds. The city definitely has a lot of affluent people but there are plenty of good restaurants and attractions that won’t break the bank. Laguna Beach is similar in that it’s gorgeous and has lots of money, but is unique and artistic with galleries in every direction. This hotel was close (enough) to all of this and offered some of its own draws like the pool and service. However, I just wanted to be swept off my feet a bit more than I was. I think that since it is Newport Beach and such a prestigious area combined with the Fairmont name, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some upgrades to the rooms and maybe restaurant areas of this hotel. In the meantime, depending on the deal you get this can still be a good stay in a great area.
|Fairmont Newport Beach 4500 MacArthur Blvd, Newport Beach, CA 92660
Disclosure : This is not a sponsored post.